Sunday, July 24, 2005

Dye Days with "my" Twisted Sister.

If I'm able to remember half of what Carolyn taught me during my two day stay with her I'll surely be able to produce some gorgeous yarns. This was my first dye job on some Corriedale. I haven't tried to spin it yet and don't know which of the many methods Carolyn taught me to use first. I've learned so many variations of drafting, spinning and plying it's going to take a long time to try them all.



Image hosted by Photobucket.com



Next I played around with Mohair, Nylon and more Corriedale. All three were dyed with the same colors and order although they look don't like it. That just shows what a difference the type fiber makes to the color . After it all dried I spun singles from each and plied them together to make a very pretty and interesting yarn. Best of all it was so much fun, especially as it all turned out so nicely.



Image hosted by Photobucket.com



Much later I got around to dyeing the silk, this was after I took a break from the heat and let Carolyn play, since it was her house and dyes hehe! We had left the silk to soak overnight so that it would happily take the dye. My color choices are far more subdued than Carolyns' as I'm pale and blond while she can wear the brightest of colors. Also I really love subtle colors and they seem to like me to. These are the four colors I used. . .
Paw Paw (Gaywool), Ivy (Gaywool Bush Blends), Mochachino (WashfastAcid Dyes) and Stringybark (Gaywool Bush Blends)
I had 1 lb of natural tussah but only used 8oz (now wish I used it all) and about 3 oz of white tussah silk . So I was curious to compare the results, as seen below. There were no suprises and predictably the colors were a little brighter on the white silk or perhaps it just appears that way because of white as a contrast.

Mentioning that I'm thrilled to pieces with the results is a bit obvious but I have to say it anyway.
I won't mix the white and natural silks. I'm just too fond of the natural to dare to mess up what I see as perfection. I'll surely find some use for the whiter/brighter silk one day.
Now to spin it fine and make something delicious.


Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I truly feel like I'm in heaven. Only "there" can anything be so gorgeous (in my eyes anyway).

Thank you Carolyn.

No comments: