Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Hand Made IS Best.

I've got a couple of cents that I'd like to spend.

I'm certain that you have been asked why you go to all the bother of spinning and such like. Of course those that ask usually know that the process must be enjoyable or else why do it. All that being said there is another reason that we do it. . .everything we make IS unique and represents who "we are" as opposed to just being representatives of the Big Name companies. And those that get right down to the very basics of Fiber Art (knitting etc) and start from the fleece and go all the way to produce yarn and then on to designing/redesigning can really call the finished item "our very own". So what IS best about all or part of that process? Well, when it works out you enjoy the moment of "knowing you did it" and funnily enough that is "enough":)

To continue with the previous thoughts of hand made being the best. This is a scarf that I actually finished last night after taking the picture. I''d won the yarn at the Virginia Fiber Festival in '03. I was a beginner spinner and my singles won first prize. The "Dancing Leaf Farm" had very generously provided the prize and I picked out this gorgeous yarn. I'd thought it the softest most gorgeous wool/mohair mix I'd ever felt and immediately wound it ready to knit . It has taken me this long to use it as previous attempts didn't do the colors any justice and in fact neither has this scarf. It is one of those yarns that should have been placed in a crystal bowl and used for display only. You see, what had felt wonderfully soft became scratchy when knitted. It's almost dry now and I know that it will always be too scratchy for me to wear next to my skin.........but I really want it to be of some use, so what do I do? Now, had I spun this concoction myself I would have found out pretty quickly that this specific mix wasn't going to work for me. This is all akin to a love affair, first the cheek test and a little gentle touching. If you marry right away you have just messed up. To know a yarn or a partner then you have to tie that sucker into some fancy knots before you can tell if they are going too scratchy to live with. The only way to get around this to be the "creator" of your own yarn.

Feather Fan Scratchy Scarf.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Here's another story of why one might want to hand spin but gosh only in my dreams will I ever dye yarn in such perfectly matching colors. I'm making this "Bloomfield Throw" using "Mission Falls 1824" yarn for a friend of a friend. I love the color combo and happily knitting this mass of color-work. I'm on the third set of blocks and it's going great. The yarn feels super soft and still does after knitting and easily pasts my cheek test. Here comes the "not-so big but"! It can be an annoying yarn to knit as it is plied very loosely causing the four strands to separate (pulled taught the yarn is less that half the thickness when at rest). If you aren't very careful it unravels enough which can cause the thickness of the stitches to differ and tension can be tough for the same reason. So in my "not so humble opinion" I give "Mission Falls 1824" yarn a big thumbs up for color and an "iffy wavy hand" for knitability. The disigns are wonderfully different though and I'd like to knit others.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

***

Now I need your help! I spun this 8 oz of silk on a drop spindle more than a year ago and haven't found a pattern that suits the colors and yardage (950 yds). In an effort to use up yarns from the stash of bygone days I'd really appreciate some inspiration. Please.........don't let me slip into another "Purse Stitch" pattern.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Stumped for idea's for the silk! Well, how about idea's for this "stuff". . .Eight skeins of Katia "Ole" (1,000 yds). It looks like strips of paper but is man made Polythylene (ndl size 10.5 US). I know very well that I have seen a pattern for this and most likely it's in my huge library of patterns. But right now I've no juicy idea's of what to do with it. The 'net' didn't help in a search last night. I couldn't even find a link for it, perhaps I'm the only person in the world with it. So remember me if you have even a crazy idea or something, pretty please. You never know how a little word can be just the right inspiration.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Well, tomorrow is my big day for my trip to GA and throw myself into a couple of days of dyeing and spinning with Carolyn in my pursuit to color my world. I know you are all dripping in envy.

No comments: