Thursday, April 28, 2005

Trick or Treat in April.

This week has been a really strange, annoying, funny, sweet...and eyes rolling "you have to be kidding" week. So with that in mind I'll try to match all of the above moments.

First the funny (actually this one covers everything). Last week a visitor was admiring my "knitty lady" from Alaska and fell in love with her (I can see a myself knitting in an old deck chair like this one day at least that's how I hope to end up) . Yes, she's knitting but has" forgotten "what". Yes, that is yarn wrapped around he scrawny knee (brilliant idea btw). No, she's not naked...she's wearing a tiny bikini top and a thong. As to why do I want to be her.....cuz no one can resist loving her. I really must give her a name though "knitty lady" just doesn't do her justice......idea's anyone?



Image hosted by Photobucket.com

***

Now for the "tricks". I made this vest years ago (my design) and as usual, although charted, the design continued to evolve while on the needles. I was aiming for "my size" but of course "swatching" would make the outcome more predictable and...predictable isn't part of my nature. I had started with a provisional Cast On (just in case) and was happily following my chart when I realized it was going to be too small for me. No way was I ripping it and I really wanted it for "ME". I continued on and considered various "fixes" but I needed "4" extra inches and that wouldn't be easy to add. I plowed on as the idea of dropping stitches, then using the "strings" as the warp for weaving. I thought if I were to drop 8 sets of 2 stitches before I bind off at the shoulder and weave yarn through the "ladders" I could gain those 4 missing inches. Fortunately the slits for the pockets weren't a problem. Convinced that I was enhancing the pattern by breaking up the horizontal stripes (slimming) I suffered throughout the weaving process. The white and tan cotton was the lumpy-bumpy variety and a Royal pain in the BUTT!

Just thought I'd show you this as it just might inspire you too try this "fix" one day. Just in case you have to add some inches, (could even be in an old favorite that has "shrunk"....wouldn't be too hard to undo the shoulder seam) you may find that you too, can use this "trick".




Image hosted by Photobucket.comImage hosted by Photobucket.com

***

I'd say that the following BOOO-BOOO was bad enough to go bump in the night but when I threw it from the dryer it flopped with a soft plop.

Of course there comes a time when swatching should always, ALWAYS be done. That is when one is mixing yarns for felting. So my luck (flying by the seat of my pants) ran out and here is result of what should have been the start of the cute "Cottage Tea Cozy" from the book "Knitters Stash". The grey/blue square would have been one of the windows but sadly the 100% wool walls barely shrunk. I'll now give the err.."cozy kitty basket liner" to my friend for her gorgeous cat "Speck".

Don't cry for me.....I've already flooded Florida.


Image hosted by Photobucket.com



No comments: