Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Stash enhancement...

Don't you all get funny idea's when I tell you about my "best friend" locally that is....it's Virgil, yes as in "man". Every girl should have a friend like Virgil.....he walks with me, he talks with me and he'll buy "all this" for me when he runs across it at yard sales. I've only got one brother (Paul) and he's still in the UK....sniff. Paul and I still get to chat but I sure do miss him....so lucky for me I've got Virgil.

So here I am focused on my stash reduction by knitting 56 boa's and such when here comes Virg' with a monster box fresh from a yard sale.....all for $8 which I happily paid.

Can any of you remember Bear Brand yarn? I'm curious as to how old this stuff might be.
All the following came in the original Bear Brand boxes.
There is...working from left to right................
A box of one ounce balls of "Dawn" worsted wt. 100% wool.
In front of that is 24 ounces of 87% wool/13% lurex "Glow-Knit".
At the back is 24 ounces (a whopping 4,800 yds) of "Super-Spun Nylon". Funny warning on the label "Not suitable for skirts"! I assume that means it will stretch with sitting. This yarn really facinates me as I'd recently seen a fabulous vintage pattern calling for nylon and with the same gauge as this 9 sts per inch on #1's (12uk). Just a thought....how well does nylon dye?
Dead center is 6 balls of "Curlicue" 70% mohair, 30% wool. It's a very fine bucle` but feels a bit scratchy.
The small amount of burgandy next to the Curlicue is also a very thin wool.
End of Bear Brand stuff.

The two large cones of what only appear to be mohair are a bit of a mystery, but after burn testing and the glossy appearance I've come to the conclusion that it's "manmade". Which if it is will really make me happy.....I'm no a big fan of mohair unless it's "kid".
The rest of the yarns are newer acrylics.
All the books are in good condition and all are vintage (except for a "quickie knits") and going back to the mid 50's with some of the small books still being immaculate.


Image hosted by Photobucket.com


I'll share the crochet and acrylics but the BB stuff must be drooled over for awhile. And before you ask "No I'm not sharing Virgil".......well I do let him go home to his lovely wife and I also allow my hubby to chat sports, cars and other odd manly stuff with him.
***

Tomorrow I'm volunteering at DeLeon Springs....do drop by if your in that neighborhood.

No comments: