Monday, June 27, 2005

The Versatile "Purse Stitch"

The "Purse Stitch" is my favourite stitch to use when an urge kicks in to play around with something lacy.
Once you understand it's complexities of this stitch you can substitute it for other patterns/sequences of stitches. The kind that often require super human diligence. Sometimes it's nice to have gratification with less work!

A stinky cold/flu bug over the past week or so turned my brain to sloshy mush but I still needed a diversion from my misery. Hence, another "Purly Gurly Shawl" made from my stash of "Mohair-Look" acrylic.
After the shawl came a scarf, (still not sure if I should add a fringe or something).

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Still sick as a dog and OD'ing on Benedryl and Full Throttle (coke product) I played around at making a Shoulder Shrug...? But it made a pretty good Muffler when doubled...don't groan I was sick remember!!

Next on my week long knitting binge came Ruffles, from the "Scarf" book (don't have it handy to give the credits). It was soon pretty obvious that this type of yarn wasn't the best to use so I kept it short. I should have stuck to my "Purse Stitch" theme instead. Anyway it was part of my marathon of knitting so included it.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
However...during the bordom of Ruffles I had the idea for Wristers. Perhaps I happen to like "odd" stuff but I really liked how these came out. This was my first try and the pattern, that had yet to meet paper and still in my mushy head managed to work out very well.
So well (back to that humble opinion of mine) that I actually wrote up the pattern. (Yet to be typed...today)

>>>>But I haven't done showing off yet.......so don't be in such a hurry to leave.
This "Beach/Laundry/Knitting Bag" was inspired by a bag on "Chris Knits" . I could see from the picture, that the bag started with a knitted wash cloth and stitches picked up around the cloth and followed by the "purse stitch" or something similar. I did an easy finish (I couldn't see how the handels had been made) using a garter stitch band with eyelets for the draw string then continuing the garter stitch from a few stitches on one side for the handle and grafting it to the other side jonce it was long enough. Other than that there were no seams so it was immediately ready to use. Two crocheted drawstrings threaded through the eyelets completed it. I made this bag from a recycled cotton cardigan puchased from a thrift shop for $1.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I hope this a given you a little food for thought and inspiration.
I should be the poster child for the energy drink market. "No Fear" or "Full Throttle" are the only way to live through the flu'.

No comments: