Thursday, July 14, 2005

Busy, busy, busy...

and that's been my life and I love it.

Tomorrow I do another stint teaching kids about spinning. This is an amazing thing for me to do since I don't relate well to preteen children (OP children that is). All of that went by the board when I did my first (6) classes last week with at least 150. I think they behaved because of how I was dressed and weren't quite sure which world I had dropped from.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

btw. If you wonder why I'm looking off balance it's because I was only on one leg while doing my version of the "flying nun". Anyway, I had enough fun last week to volunteer to do it again this week.

***

ReKAL update: To prove that I'm actively recycling yarn, here is my lastest frog. Over 2,000 yds of 80% Cashmere and 20% wool...wish you could feel it as well as see it up close and personal.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

...it once was a really lovely cardigan but 2 sizes to small. This pic' was prior to washing out the kinks. I'm thinking it would look pretty made into something lacy as it is lace/sock weight.

***

I don't often get excited about "How to Knit" books. But this has my vote for best of class. The class being for teaching the "basics" of knitting and. . . Yeah, crocheting all in the same book.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Although it's for "basic" knitting it goes way beyond the that'.

If you are working on the Master Knit Program. This is the one book answer.

There are 300 full color pages of graphics/charts/notes, that go way beyond the normal illustrations. The pages below show how to increase one stitch, slanting either to the right or the left. And better still there are outlines, arrows, text boxes all to assist and clarify what you are doing. Plus the written directions include notes that explain why you are doing what you are doing.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

The various patterns included in this book are up to date and clearly written. But before you get to the patterns there is a section that teaching how to read a pattern, graph, chart, etc. The patterns are also very attractive and not your normal diet of square shapes.

This is a newly published book and can be found or ordered at the main book chains. You might also ask your LYS to get it for you. (btw I have zero affiliation with Maran)

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

***

In preparing next weeks "spin/dye" visit to Carolyn (you have to see her new socks) who is still hot from the spin/dye class with the one and only Lynn Vogel
First thing I had to do was get rid of all my misfits of wool and such that I'd spun. I had a box full of odds and ends, many left overs from the Mola Poncho.
So I made another felted bag. The handle is rather unique as it's knit with both edges worked using two sided I-Cord. It sure is easier than applying it afterwards.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
And here is the bag...hope you have sunglasses on.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

***

I've also been rearranging the guest/fiber room. I found a whole bunch of the heavy duty wire interlocking cubes at a thrift shop for $5. They haven't improved the look of the room but sure have helped organize it. So this is a warning to all and any visitors!

This is your new view from the guest bed.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Underneith the desk is the normal array of plastic bins. And don't expect any closet space. Isn't it all "charming" but the welcome mat is always out.

No comments: