Thursday, November 17, 2005

Catching up with you....

.......I've been gone way to long. I've condensed the fiber highlights of the last month so that I could catch up and get back on track.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

First my favorite days of November.
The annual "Jamboree" at the "Pioneer Settlement for the Creative Arts" in Barberville FL. (Their web site is out of date and does not do it justice but you'll get the idea)
In 2004 there were over 30,000 attendees. This year the gorgeous blue skies and 80+ temps must have brought out even more. Especially delightful was seeing so many visitors get into the atmosphere of days gone by. These three beauties were my absolute favorites and not just due to their costume of the era but seemingly the innocence of those Pioneer days.

The pic above and this one are of the front porch of the 1860's Log Cabin which Betty Lou and her DustBunny kindly share with me. The rabbit is molting and Betty spins it's loose hair as she plucks it directly from the rabbit that sits content in it's grooming. It's so funny to watch as most often there are crowds up on the porch with us and at first people aren't really paying attention until they see the white mass on her lap wiggle. Everything from squeals to "Oh my God" are heard all day long. If you are ever near the Daytona and N. Central FL area the first weekend of November then Barberville is the place to be. You will not be bored and won't see it all in one day either, all at a cost of $5 for adults and no charge for children.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Oh and don't miss the "Christmases Remembered" in December (more later on that) where an old time Christmas celebration can be found. You'll find a warm welcome throughout the Settlement and more sweet treats than you can consume, just like it used to be when you visited friends and family.
Now for Knit news:

I've been locked and loaded for the last few weeks feverishly knitting anything and everthing in the "Feather and Fan" pattern. It's now such a mindless pattern that migraines, football or bad movies can be all be suffered.
First came my silk wrap (remember the silk I dyed in "Blond colors") . It's miles long and love how it drapes and stays put even while clamboring in and out of the car. This is going to get worn a lot and by far one of my favorite knits. This is how I've been wearing it so far....little pic is the back view.
(btw, the pics make the colors paler and shinier than they really are)
Image hosted by Photobucket.comImage hosted by Photobucket.com

Then came the afghan, this from some of that soft soft nubbly acrylic stuff.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Then came another wrap for my green loving daughter. This is her Christmas knit. Don't tell her that the 90% Cashmere 10% Silk was recycled from a gorgeous cardigan that was too small for either of us. She loves green (not me) and it has tiny speck of multicolored silk which makes it look like a pine forest.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Just a close up
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Now for my new purchases:
I happened to manage to get a day in downtown Gainsville and couldn't pass up a chance to see Barbara at the "Yarnworks". I've known Barbara for 10 years, hers was the first store to stock my book. I don't get there too often as "downtown" Gainsville is rarely on my way anywhere. So it was a special treat to meet up with her again and to find that she is now "into" spinning. Her store isn't "into" it yet but I can hope that one day it will be. It's by far my most favorite store for several reasons. One, the old house is lovely. Two, it's full of nooks and cranny's and baskets and all filled with the most interesting variety of yarns, patterns and goodies. Alladin's cave couldn't be any more fun. Especially fun since I'd sold a few goodies at the "Jamboree" and had money left over from my trip to the garden center (yes the yard work continues). Not a lot of money but Barbara always has sales and anyway her prices are always kept at a minimum.
I found "Feza" Kid Mohair on sale and immediately fell in love with it. Why I didn't splurge and buy more than 5 balls I'll never know. But glad I bought what I did. It's so fine and light as air and oh so soft! Space dyed with single delicious fruity colors.
With Christmas knitting still in mind and obviously still keeping the Feather & Fan theme..... each 25gram ball with a whopping 275 yds should make a lovely scarf. Not sure if I'll want to give these beauties away though.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
I didn't bother with a picture of another purchase as silver gray lace weight Merino is hardly picturesque, at least until it's knitted. I bought it and the yarn above because there will never be a day that I could spin anything as fine as these yarns. The Skacel Merino Lace weighs in at 100 grams and has 1375 yds of 2ply. At $13.95!! Who in there right mind would bother to try.
Spinning News:
As many of you know I volunteer at the above mentioned Pioneer Settlement as a teacher/demonstrator. (It is owned and operated by the Volusia County School District) All year long there are school field trips and volunteers are needed to demonstrate. I usually do the history of spinning (I'm learning as I go). Last week I learned to spin on the Walking Wheel/Great Wheel and was thrilled to find out how easy it was. Now I want one of my own. I think it would be heaven to use it outside during Florida's wonderful winters. But I'll have to settle for using theirs as there is no more room in my house. I must take my camera with me next Monday when I'm "in action" again but here is a picture and some history. Oh but lookeeee here at what I could have quite cheaply.
Beyond that I've finally finished spinning what Carolyn gave to me for last Christmas and using the drop spindle that the lovely gift included. Now back to my Christmas knitting....see ya' soon.

No comments: